Saturday, January 30, 2021

BBNP part 5

 Tuesday, at 11 am I was the last vehicle in the first group going down the mountain when they opened the Chisos basin road. They were paving the road today. After stopping at Panther Junction, I headed north towards Persimmon Gap and my next campsite at Nine Point Draw Primitive Backcountry site. The road to the site is a good gravel road with only one rough stop. The site is not far from the road and I can hear the occasional vehicle, however it has a feeling of complete isolation.


                                             Dog Canyon from Nine Point Draw Camp


                                                        Dog Canyon Entrance


                                                     Moon rise over Dog Canyon 

                                                 Nine Point Draw Camp

After leveling the truck, and popping the top, I made lunch, went for a short walk and then just relaxed. My legs were still a bit tired. But I have a great view of Dog Canyon, which is my next hike. 



Wednesday, I hiked north, 15 minutes, cross-country until I crossed the Dog Canyon trail which runs North to South then followed the trail into Dog Canyon. I really like being able to do hikes from camp. It was a nice level short 4 mile hike which was great to stretch the legs without to much effort. I met a trail crew doing drainage repair work on the desert section of the trail. I considered doing the Devil’s Den hike as well, but instead followed Nine Point Draw out of Dog Canyon, avoiding the normal trail. The draw parallels the trail and is about half way between my camp and the trail. When I thought I was near my camp, I climbed out of the draw and then head south cross country to camp.


Thursday, I left Nine Point Draw campsite and drove to Panther Junction, dumped my trash, refilled water, then headed east to hike the Pine Canyon Trail. The hike is a short 4 mile round trip hike to a 200 ft pour off, but it gains 1000 feet in elevation, most in the last mile. After about 30 minutes,  I met the same trail crew from yesterday, we chatted and then I moved on. Quite the coincidence since I was 40 miles from Dog Canyon and given the number of trails in BBNP.

Last time Nancy & I were here it was a frozen water fall. This time I could hear water trickling, the rocks were damp, but that was it. I had the place to myself, scattered a little of Nancy, had lunch and then about 20 minutes later the trail crew arrived. I packed up and headed out.



                                                        Pine Canyon Pour Off
                                                             Pine Canyon Trail

After the hike I headed west to Paint Gap 1 Primitive campsite for 2 nights, for my last two nights in Big Bend National Park before heading to Big Bend Ranch State Park.


                             Another Awesome Moon rise, this time from Paint Gap 1
                                                       Paint Gap 1 Camp site

Paint Gap 1 is quite a distance off the main park road, on a fairly good dirt road, I can’t hear cars, but the road doesn’t dead end at my site, it continues to two other primitive sites, which are miles further down the road. I ‘m still extremely secluded and have great views of the Chisos Mountains which are to my south, as well as vast expanses of desert. As the sun set I was not only treated to a great sunset, but an incredible moon rise. It seemed close enough to reach out and touch. Its time’s like this I wish I had a real digital SLR camera, rather than just my iPhone. I had to lower the resolution on the attached photos because I had pretty pour connectivity.


This morning I’m heading to Big Bend Ranch State Park. Currently, in a pill off with a full rack of cell bars, who knew technology would expand here.


Tight lines and safe travels


1 comment:

  1. Yo! Technical question this time... I see Enzo's roof at "1/2 mast", 1 end raised. Is that to tip the solar panels for better solar gain? Forget what you have for a battery bank - is the solar keeping up with your energy needs? Nice pics - great moon rises! Full "Wolf" moon! Cold here - skied 7 miles in the Pemi today, high was only +10!

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...