Wednesday, February 3, 2021

BBRSP part 2

 Sunday I left Los Ojitos campsite and hiked the Cinco Tinajas Trail which is just a 4 mile or so desert hike which drops into a major drainage, crosses it, then follows another wash before climbing steeply to a plateau. Trails in BBRSP are not very well marked. There were a few cairns, usually just when you needed one, the only fiberglass trail markers were at junctions but didn’t have any verbiage or even an arrow. I have a very good vinyl map and was grateful for it. With so many washes, canyons and ridge lines, it would be easy to get lost. The park is known as a mountain bike mecca, and as such I saw more tire tracks then foot prints. The loose sand and gravel in the washes really wear on hiking legs, I can’t imagine, even with the new fat tires, biking in the washes.


I finished my hike and got to the Sauceda Ranger Station at 1pm, showers were empty and I even found one that was completely dry, so I assumed it hadn’t been used since the 7:30-9:30 am cleaning. Showers are FREE, temperature adjustable and private. After changing into clean clothes, I picked up my pass for my next campsite and drove 11 miles to Pila Montoya #3 campsite. 



In my opinion, Pila Montoya is a Five Star Backcountry campsite. It is located 1 & 1/2 miles off the main park road, at the end of a high clearance, two wheel drive, road. That being said, I did shift into 4WD in a steep section with some loose rock. Along the way I passed Pila Montoya #1 and Pila Montoya #2 campsites. Pila Montoya #3 is one of the few campsites in the park with a composting privy. Most campsites have no privy. The site is relatively level, has a bear box, fire ring and covered picnic table. It sits atop a narrow, deep canyon, but sheltered somewhat as it sits below peaks to the east, north and west, thereby providing great southern exposure. It is also the trail head for Pila Montoya Trail. 


Monday, I hiked Pila Montoya Trail, a 1.9 mile descent along the side of the canyon, into the wash and then finally meeting Fresno Canyon Creek and Fresno Canyon Road. The creek of course is nothing more than a dry wash. It was still early so I continued another half mile or so down the wash. Again, there were many more bike tracks than foot prints. It was a warm sunny day and  was back at camp after logging 4.8 miles, with plenty of time for a solar shower, happy hour and an early dinner.


I was sitting outside reading around 6 pm and heard voices, three guys rode up the trail on loaded mountain bikes, they had begun the trip at the Barton Warnock Visitor Center and were spending 3 days bike packing in the park. They still had another five miles to go before they would reach their campsite at Paplote Nuevo. Two guys had cruised the last steep uphill section of the trail before reaching my campsite, the third guy was sucking wind and took another ten minutes before he arrived. They gave him a couples of minutes to catch his breath and then the three of them headed out, the third guy immediately lagging behind his buddies.


Tuesday, I took a rest day and hung in camp. It was a partly cloudy, mid 60s day, with almost no wind and completely quiet. 


Today, Wednesday, I made a quick stop at the ranger station to get my next permit and post this.


Tight lines and safe travels

1 comment:

  1. Great adventures! I'm afraid I'd be like the 3rd biker, lagging behind. I'm slightly out of breath just reading about all the hiking and biking. Maybe a few years ago...

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...