Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Urban Road Trip 4/15- 4/21/21


Sorry no photos with this, I have shitty internet coverage at the moment. I'll post photos next time.


When Nancy passed and before I had a sense of how bad the COVID pandemic would be, I had decided that I would make a point of visiting many of my friends whom I really hadn’t seen since Nancy started all her treatments at MDA. So a few weeks ago I made the trip to Henderson to visit Joe and Amaryllis. This week, I headed to the Hill Country area of Texas to visit a number of friends. This trip would be different from my other Enzo excursions, because I was going to be camping in a city. City camping has always been something we did with the Motorhome, staying in City Parks and RV parks.


My first night I drove to Brady, TX and camped in their city park, then headed to Austin to visit my friend Grace. I had planned to spend 3 nights camped at Windy Point Campground, on a first come, first served basis, which I thought was in Bob Wentz County Park, a beautiful little park on Lake Travis. Turns out Bob Wentz Park is day use only and Windy Point is a private little dump of a campground which is next to the county park. The website was a little misleading or maybe I was a little confused. I was able to grab one night at Arkansas Bend County Park on Friday, then grabbed 2 nights at the Leander NM Austin KOA.  OUCH!!!!!!!!


I think the universe was screwing with me on this trip. When traveling in Enzo, I prefer remote spots, state parks, or at least simple RV parks not resort type RV parks. Also funny, is that when Nancy & I would travel in the Moho, KOAs were our last choice, since they tend to be a bit more expensive due to the amenities they offer which we never used. Anyway, the KOA was relatively close to Grace and they had availability. 


Things didn’t work out to attend the #StopAsianHate rally, but I did have dinner with Grace at the Oasis on Lake Travis. The Oasis is quite the place, sort like a castle on the street side. We had drinks and dinner on the outdoor patio overlooking the lake. It was a little chilly with a pretty stiff breeze, but we survived and had a nice time. Thank you Grace.




Monday, I left the Austin area to visit John, Linda, Bud and Karma, in Big Spring, TX, some of my longest known road friends. We all met in 1999 selling Christmas trees in the greater Houston area. Nancy and I did it for 4 years. Selling trees was a pretty good gig at the time and we all kept in touch over the years, crossing paths on the road and then at their homes when they came off the road. It was great seeing them. We had drinks, great conversation, dinner out and as always we enjoyed each other's company. The next morning, John cooked an awesome breakfast and I eventually said goodbye and headed north. There is no such thing as a quick goodbye with longtime road friends.


Lynn & Louise just happened to be visiting family in Georgetown, TX and staying at an RV park that was a client of mine when we worked for TACO. I arrived there noonish and as is so typical with RVing buddies, we stood outside talking about trucks and rigs for a half hour before finally heading inside so I could  say hello to Louise. I had a great time with them and as with John, Linda, Bud & Karma, it had been many years since I had seen them. Finally, around 5pm I needed to say goodbye and make the two hour drive northwest to Brady, TX which would put be a days drive from home or 3 hours from Monahans Sandhill State Park.


This was an Urban road trip to visit friends, and I was undecided whether I would just head home from Brady or make a slight detour to stop and spend a night at Monahans Sandhill State Park, so that I could get a true camping experience. 


You’ll have to wait until my next blog entry to find out where I went. LOL


Tight lines and safe travels

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you got a spot at the dumpy park. There's nothing like urban camping to remind you of why all the places in wide open spaces are so awesome. Glad you made it out of the big bad city in one piece (well, except your wallet, dang KOAs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that Branson is on your list at some point. I know of a great RV park where I can guarantee will always have room for you ;-) I still have pictures of you and Nancy, and Lynn and Louise when you all were here.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...