Saturday, May 16, 2020

A Little History and a peek into the future

In 1998 at age 43, we quit our jobs in healthcare and hit the road. We traveled and camped in  46 of the 48  lower United States, the west coast & Baja of Mexico as well as Eastern and Central Canada. We earned a living as workampers, selling Christmas trees, Wagon Masters for a Caravan company and independent sales representatives for a Campground site map company called AGS.

We began our adventure in a 21 foot class C motorhome, gradually moving to a 27 foot class A, then a 32 foot class A and finally a 40 foot diesel pusher towing a F150, 4x4, with a small pop-up truck camper installed in the truck's bed. We were living our dream. Like anyone we had minor hurdles which we either went over or around. In 2006 my wife was diagnosed with her first of three blood cancers, but did not require treatment. In 2015 she required treatment so we lived in our motorhome while she went through 7 1/2 months of treatment and eventually remission in 2016. We continued our work and travels and finally retired in the winter of 2018 when she was diagnosed with her second blood cancer. We continued to live in our motorhome as she went through treatment again, until she finally lost her cancer battle with a third blood cancer in the spring of 2020, when she passed away from leukemia at MD Anderson. She was an hiker, rock climber, canoeist, fly fisherwoman, artist and my best friend.

My story begins here, as I transition to a solo full-time RVer. I left Houston about a month after she passed, but the Covid-19 restrictions limited my travel. So, like many full-time RVers I decided to find a place to hunker down, and settled in about 90 miles north of Houston. I need to complete some dental work as well as get my second cataract surgery done, the first eye was done before the Cover-19 restrictions, and then I will leave Texas.

I am keeping my current setup, the diesel pusher and the F150 with the pop up truck camper. I am slowly making changes to each rig to better accommodate my new solo life. I donated much of my wife's clothing to a shelter, but I kept a number of her things which I plan to give to friends, family and some will become keepsakes.

The diesel pusher tows the F150 with the truck camper very easily, and will be my home. The truck camper, which we named Enzo, is my camper and overland vehicle. My current plan is to use the motorhome as my base and Enzo as my Trout Bum camper. The motorhome doesn't leave the pavement, while Enzo is equipped to travel off-road to each and every Trout stream, river, or alpine lake I can find. My goal once I leave Texas is to become a first class Trout Bum. Secondary activities will be hiking, visiting friends & family as well as the usual RV sightseeing activities. At times I will live in the motorhome and other times I may park it or store it and take off in Enzo for weeks or even months at a time. I'm very comfortable in either setup.

So follow my journey both as I become more adept at being a solo RVer and as I travel this great country of ours.

Tight lines


7 comments:

  1. Larry, absolutely love it! Nicely said and done. I am going to follow. You are a great inspiration to me. Nancy would be proud and pleased. Hugs. P.s. i am getting out maps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, will continue to follow your adventures here! Once travel eases up, I'm sure Cindy and I will catch up with you. Stay healthy, stay happy! ST

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Larry.... We will def. follow your solo adventures. We look forward to having you come by to see us as you travel around.... anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, now that you are on your own, are you still C&R or are you going to fry em up? Keep the faith and you know where Austin CO is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope we get to see you in Branson one of these days, and we still need to get to Cora! Thank you for keeping Nancy's page alive--we all love and miss her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Sue Alkire, apparently your blog designates me as "unknown" even though I logged in with my email address :-)

      Delete
  6. Hey Larry, I didn't know the term "trout bum" even existed. I've got a feeling that I'll learn a lot from your new vagabonding era!

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...