Monday, October 26, 2020

Overland from Dog Canyon

On Saturday, 10/24/20, I hiked the Tejas Trail to Lost Peak, which is 3.2 miles with 1,500 ft of elevation gain. Great hike thru a mixed but mostly coniferous forest up the canyon, but the deciduous trees were in color albeit, past peak. The final ascent to the peak is 1/4 mile bushwhack (no trail) to a huge cairn and a summit register. The view and wind were spectacular. After enjoying the view and signing the register and headed down on the Manzanita Route, a 1.5 bushwhack with stone cairns every now and then. I had great verbal directions and made it to Marcus Overlook at the junction of the Bush Mountain Trail and then 2.25 miles back to camp. For a total of 7 miles. Except for the wind, it was a perfect day, sunny and warm.



On Sunday my legs were a bit sore and tired so it was a slack hiking day, 1/2 mile on the Indian Meadow Nature trail, a solar shower and an early cocktail.


Today, Monday, with news that the predicted storm might keep me from driving the overland route from Dog Canyon to the Pine Springs entrance, I decided to leave. It’s a little more than 100 miles, with 30 miles of gravel and another 21 miles of rough pavement. I was advised not to travel it when wet, hence the departure on Monday. Its only about 20 miles shorter than the normal route, but I wanted to see more of the back desert country. I didn’t see another vehicle for the first 40 miles. It was well worth the drive to see the “backside” of GMNP plus I was able to fuel up in Dell City.


When I left Dog Canyon it was sunny. I arrived at Pine Springs Campground with the wind, clouds, 30 degrees and snow flurries. As expected, the place was pretty deserted, only one RV site was taken. My plan is to hunker down until the storm blows through and then hike Guadalupe Peak, 8.4 miles round trip, 3,000 ft elevation gain, to the highest point in Texas, elevation 8,751 feet.


Pine Springs Campground has heated bathrooms with flush toilets and sinks, trash, water, a utility sink for dishes, no wifi, but 2 Verizon bars. There is a Visitor Center with a bookstore, which I'll check out tomorrow.


Rene asked for photos, so here you go, Dog Canyon Campsite, Tejas Trail, Lost Peak and my current campsite at Pine Springs.





 Tight Lines and safe travels 

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics! Do you find that being at altitude all summer helped? (There's a reason athletes train at altitude, if they can do it there, they can do it anywhere!)
    When we hiked the little trail at the main entrance (sorry, forgot the name) earlier this year, I was amazed at the differing plants in really just a small elevation difference though we didn't go but a couple miles (round trip). I really liked GMNP and look forward to going back. You were the one who told me about it! :)
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duuuuude. You're going to be running ultras with us pretty soon. Great hiking! Great scenery! Thanks for the pics, I'm really enjoying them (we all are I'm sure)

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...