Saturday, October 24, 2020

being More Dog........ off on an extended Enzo trip

 On Friday, October 23, I headed out on my first extended, solo, Enzo (truck camper) road trip, leaving the Moho parked on my new lot at the Ranch. I originally planned a short quick trip to the Livingston/Houston area of Texas to vote and see my dentist and doctors. I planned to leave two days before the election, spend a week in the area and then return to The Ranch.

But after discovering that Eddy County, NM had a huge surge in Covid-19 cases since the end of September, I decided to head out early and spend as much time in the wilderness, isolated from people as I could. 


As background, I was fortunate to spend the summer in Park County, which only had 91 cases, 0.4% based on population, whereas Eddy County has 1,339 cases, 2.2% based on population.


I digress, back to the solo Enzo trip. I packed 14 days of underwear, food, 14 gallons of water and both warm and cold weather clothes. This would get me to Election Day with a cushion, without having to resupply. At about 9am, I signed out at the Ranch and headed south to the Dog Canyon area of Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Nancy & I had been to GMNP and number of times in the past, but always to the southern entrance at Pine Springs. Two and half hours later I arrived at Dog Canyon Campground, the northern entrance for GMNP.


Every road trip has to have something happen. Either you forget something, take a wrong turn, my “something” was not realizing the pen I used to sign out, had slide into my cup holder. Therefore, when I turned left onto the highway, my full 16 oz mug flew onto the passenger seat, spilling its entire contents. So much for enjoying a second mug of coffee on the drive.


If you enjoy high desert landscape, with rolling hills, arroyos, canyons and the occasional pump jack, the drive to Dog Canyon is great. Dog Canyon is very remote, even more remote than the Pine Springs entrance. The campground sits at 6,300 feet, consists of 9 tent sites and 4 RV sites (limit 23 ft long). The tent sites are walk-ins, the RV sites are nothing more than a parking lot with a picnic table and trash can at each site. Perfect for me and Enzo. There are two bathrooms with flush toilets and sinks, a utility sink for doing dishes, WiFi, but no showers or dump station. Two sites were occupied, but one rig was leaving, I chose the far southern end site, and settled in. 


I had spoken with a volunteer at the entrance station about hikes available from the campground, so after lunch I headed out on the Bush Mountain trail for a 4.5 mile out and back hike to Marcus Overlook. I was not disappointed. The hike climbs steadily on the edge of the canyon, until you reach a level area, with a 360 degree view of desert canyons and mountains for many miles. I enjoyed the view then headed back to camp for a glass of wine, and steak dinner.


Saturday, I’ll hike Lost Peak, bushwhack across on the unmaintained Manazinita Ridge Route to Marcus Overlook and then return to camp via the Bush Mountain Trail. It’s about 6.5 miles and will include the a portion of the same hike I did Friday, but it will make a nice loop and 2/3 of it will be new trail.


Tight Lines and safe travels


3 comments:

  1. How was/is the weather? Katie says it's been unseasonably warm in Socorro area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! My comment disappeared. Let me know if it's just waiting moderation...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh maybe not. Ok so all I wanted to say is: STOP MAKING US JEALOUS!! Hahah nah you deserve a great camping trip. Sounds perfect and thanks for the #BeMoreDog nod! Dog Canyon. I get it!

    PICS next time please.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...