Sunday, December 13, 2020

Nancy's birthday

 Friday was Nancy’s birthday, she would have been 66. I decided I needed to do something outdoors to celebrate, rather than sit home and be sad. So since Enzo is always ready to go, I grabbed my hiking boots, day pack and headed out to Lincoln National Forest and specifically Sitting Bull Falls Recreation Area. I’m fortunate that it’s approximately 40 miles from my lease lot (aka home). I decided I’d hike the Last Chance Canyon Trail, and if I found a desolate off road campsite nearby, then I’d spend the night.


The hike was perfect, a short uphill climb over a knoll and then a relatively flat desert hike through Last Chance Canyon. It’s not a loop, so I decided I’d hike 3 or so miles in and then turn around. Along the way I met two hunters, they were hunting Barbera Sheep. I was glad I had my salmon colored sun shirt on and that I had trimmed my facial hair. You may have to google Babera sheep to get the joke.



                                              Last Chance Canyon Trail


After the hike, I left the parking lot and headed up Forest Service Road 227. It was a pretty rough, rocky 4WD road, which at times required 4WL and some caution navigating some extreme sections. The F150 performed flawlessly and after 0.9 mile, I topped out on a high desert knoll with a 360 degree view and a large flat “campsite”. After parking, popping the roof, I settled in with a bourbon on the rocks and was very grateful for the ability to “escape” into the wilderness and be surrounded by nothing. I could see forever and except for the barb wired fence next to the road and my truck, there wasn’t a man made object in sight.







Just after sunset, a severe wind advisory popped up on my phone, just about the same time as the wind at my campsite began howling. Yes, I had cell coverage in the middle of nowhere. Wind speed was forecast to be 25-30 mph with more severe gusts, so I settled into Enzo and cooked a simple one pot meal indoors. It remained cloudy and the wind rocked Enzo all night long, later the temperature dropped into the mid 30s, but I was very comfortable tucked away in Enzo. I had hoped to star gaze and sit under the milky way, but mother nature did not cooperate, maybe next time. This morning the wind continued violently, so I nixed any plans to hike, packed up and drove home.








                                              Morning and the road out.


In case I don't post for awhile, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.


Be safe



4 comments:

  1. Wow - beautiful pics. And very desolate - just what you were looking for. Glad you got away. Stay safe and Happy Holidays to you alsoπŸ’• we head to Myrtle Beach in 10 days but plan to stay in our RV bubble and play safe. Hugs πŸ€—

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like just the spot for you .. great pix!. Been thinking about you all week. Found a home for Nancy's "Believe" print & will send you a pic after it's on the wall. Hugs & hugs! MDG

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very fitting way to recognize the day. Lincoln NF - you were headed towards Cloudcroft? While you are there - you should head a bit north, to the towns of Lincoln, and Capitan. Cool little village there! Smokey Bear memorial. Nice you can make those escapes happen. Saw Ken's comments - jealous he got to go paddling today - I was doing firewood... Just in from watching Geminids meteors - Cindy and I caught some good ones from the back yard - would be fantastic in those wide open spaces! Tilton lost their snow - I still have an inch around the place - more coming for Thursday, maybe. Decorate a cactus for the holidays - won't need ornament hooks...! ST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was zooming into each picture but couldn’t find Mad Max! Must’ve been hiding somewhere? Looks like a nice and peaceful place to be

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...