Monday, July 12, 2021

7/11/21- IDBDR - Part 5

 7/11/21- IDBDR - Part 5


Sunday morning I packed up early and was on the road by 7am. I had a loose plan based on confirming whether or not Lolo Motorway was closed due to wildfire. I drove the eight miles on the “Road to Paradise” heading back to the Magruder. Within a few miles the Magruder became a two lane, smooth, gravel road, a 14 mile section was paved  and I was doing 35-40 mph most of the way. It was anticlimactic. Sixty miles later I hit the highway and turned north towards Darby, MT.


Near Darby I found a pull-off, with a full rack of Verizon bars, uploaded the blog, and searched for info on the Lolo Fire. A section of Hwy leading to the Lolo Hotsprings was under a travel advisory, a section of the Lolo Motorway was closed, some residents were being evacuated and others were on standby. That made my decision easy. I didn’t want to be anywhere near a wildfire in the back country, without connectivity and possibly be on the wrong side of a road closure or worse. It was time to head south, away from both the Dixie Fire and the Lolo Fire. My momma didn’t raise no fools. 


Fuel was actually very reasonable in Darby, $3.29 a gallon. I inquired about a car wash and was told the nearest one was in Salmon, ID, which was on my way. In Salmon I gave the truck a much needed bath, vacuumed Enzo, grabbed a pizza and flipped a figurative coin whether to take US 93 or Hwy 28 south. Both are designated scenic byways but 93 ran next to the Salmon River, so 93 it was.


About 20 miles north of Challis, ID I found a free campground, with easy river access, a clean SST, which had a beautiful fish mural painted on all four walls inside, was well stocked with toilet paper.





                                                                One wall in the SST

                                                                  The SST


I flipped a couple of flies, wet wading and landed two very nice Rainbows. Later that evening I met Rusty and Melissa from San Diego. They had rented a Hertz Van, transferred their sleeping platform etc from there truck, which needed repairs and left San Diego on Friday heading for Glacial National Park. They weren’t real confident in their truck and originally planned to fly to Glacial NP and rent a car, but no cars were available, hence the rental van, which only cost them $30 a day.


Just before nightfall, a young mountain sheep, came down to the river on the opposite bank, and entertained me while I drank a glass of wine after dinner.  Sorry to far for photo.



                       The view from my site and also where I caught the two Rainbows


Monday, 7/12/21

I watched an adult mountain sheep climbing on the cliffs across the river, while drinking my first cup of coffee. Later a Bald Eagle flew in front of me, through the canyon, not more than 50 feet above the river. 


By 8am I had the campground to myself, drinking coffee and reflecting on the IDBDR. It was an absolutely amazing experience and I was sorry to have it end. I ended up driving a total of 437 miles on it, of which all but maybe 85 miles were various degrees of unpaved forest roads. I spend 7 nights camped in the forest, paid for one night, $6, met some great people and have found a new passion. Driving an overland route from one point to another is not physically rewarding like backpacking or canoe camping, but it is mentally rewarding. There were very few people, amazing scenery, quiet solitude and a new experience each day. I saw lots of wildlife, caught fish, and never really knew what was around the next bend in the road. I can see myself doing this for many years. There are ten Backcountry Discovery Routes in the US, nine in the west and one back east. There are also routes like the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands and numerous other overland routes available to explore. 


This was also a good trial run for next year’s trip to Alaska. I worked out some kinks, decided on a few things I don’t need and generally settled into a routine of traveling as a solo. Yes, there are times I wish I had someone to share the experiences with, but the experience of traveling solo is also a rewarding adventure. I’m looking forward to spending next summer traveling alone.


I have to arrive at Escapade, in Rock Springs, WY, no later than Saturday, 7/17 at 2 pm, to get parked and setup up the AGS booth. There is a vendor dinner at 6pm that evening, I won't miss a free meal especially with beer and wine. I have enough food to get me back to CORA, but probably need to stop at a laundromat before Escapade. Those are my only short term commitments which gives me the next five days to go wherever the adventure leads. I think I'm heading to the Snake River area SW of Idaho Springs.


Tight Lines and Safe Travels


1 comment:

  1. Wow ya gotta admire the person who took the time to paint that mural in the crapper! I hope they did it in winter.

    Looks like a fantastic time. Salmon is such a beauuuuutiful area but even better are the things you saw before you got there. I totally dig that adventure you took, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

    Alaska eh? Well heck we didn't even discuss that when we met up. FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...