Sunday, July 11, 2021

IDBDR Part 4 July 8, 2021

 IDBDR Part 4   July 8, 2021 - posted Sunday 7/11/21


I stuck around last night’s camp, while the sun charged my batteries until about 10 am and then headed out. While I was there I met a Forest Service worker cleaning the SST. She informed me that the pond I was fishing in, was a water source for the fire fighting helicopter bucket dumpers and that they had been dipping water the last few days for the Dixie Fire. She also told me that they had just stocked the pond last week. I have this vision of fish flying through the air into the fire. OMG! Not my idea of catch and release.


Elk City was only about 15 miles away. I fueled at a fairly reasonable price of $3.68 a gallon, found a couple of Verizon bars on my phone at the local VFW parking lot and posted my blog. I also met a Forest Service Fire Fighter, who gave me the beta on the Dixie Fire as well as some camping spots on the Magruder. I headed out of town and up the Magruder into the smoke. Views were limited to about a mile, but I decided to do the 8 mile round trip to the Green Mountain Fire Tower (aka lookout). The lookout was closed, but even with the smoke it was a nice view.


After rejoining the Magruder, I traveled another 15 miles and reached Poet’s Campground around 4pm, which was recommended by the FS Fire Fighter. The campground is on a tiny babbling creek. Later, three southbound adventure motorcyclists, two guys and a gal, pulled in for the night across from me. We swapped trail info, and I learned that the Lolo Motorway had been cleared of trees, but may be closed due to a nearby fire. The gal is a Respiratory Therapist and the manager of the Cardio-Pulmonary department at a hospital in ID. Small world, that’s exactly what Nancy was in our former sticks and bricks life. So far she is the only woman motorcyclist I’ve met on the IDBDR. Elizabeth’s significant other, Mark and their friend Jeff both gave her kudos for her riding skills. But Elizabeth did admit that when she dumps the bike she just stands to the side while Mark and Jeff pick it up. These bikes are bigger than I expected. Elizabeth and Mark are riding  750 cc KTM bikes, Jeff is on a 1290 cc bike, so with all the camping gear, tools, etc they are very heavy. 


While we were talking, this guy, Jim, who was camped next door to me in a Tacoma, came over and it turns out he knew Jeff. Jim had been hiking the ID Divide Trail, but bailed because of blistered feet and was driving the Magruder as one of his “bucket list” items while his feet healed. 


Being on a  BDR, is similar to being on a through hiking trail, like the AT, PCT, or LT. The conversation starts with “Are you guys doing the BDR?” and an instant common bond is formed. But these motorcyclists also remind me of whitewater paddlers. The conversation always seems to come to dumping the bike and biting dirt, just like whitewater paddlers talk about dumping and swimming. I spent a large portion of the evening chatting with them, it was lots of fun.


I was glad to gain the knowledge about the possible Lolo closure, but I plan to enter the Lolo on 7/10, things change quickly around here and I’ll keep a positive attitude. Who knows, maybe I’ll meet a trail angel and plans will change. 


I’ve been averaging about 60 miles a day, so I have another 421 miles to Wallace, which is my planned exit off the IDBDR, but 60 miles of that is paved, so I have enough time to complete my journey if Lolo is open. If its closed, I could kill a day waiting, and make up the miles, but I’m not sure I want to do that. Fingers crossed.


7/9/21 Friday 

I said goodbye to Mark, Elizabeth, Jeff and Jim around 7:15 am and headed east on the Magruder. It was a beautiful day, some smoke in the air, but no odor, just a haze. I figured it would increase as the day went on. The Magruder is well traveled, not only as part of the IDBDR, but it’s a popular overland route on its own. I stopped at a view parking area and while I was there about a dozen motorcyclists stopped. Some, heading east and some, west on the Magruder and some, doing the IDBDR. One group confirmed that 8 miles of the Lolo Motorway was closed due to a wildfire. From my point of view that ruled out continuing on the IDBDR. I’ll end this trip on the IDBDR in Lolo, MT and come back another time to finish it. I continued on and saw a Moose, a deer with velvet antlers, a hawk and of course the usual rabbits, chipmunks and associated little rodents. This place is just magnificent. 


Since it was the beginning of a weekend, I decided to find a campsite along the Selway River, near where the Magruder crosses it. Of course, the first two campsites were taken, but there was a sign pointing north off the Magruder to Paradise Campground, 12 miles. How could I not take the “Road to Paradise”. Twelve miles later, I came to Paradise and it wasn’t, so I left and drove 4 miles back to a large meadow next to the river. It was occupied, so I asked if they would mind if I camped at the opposite end, they said no problem. 


I settled in and setup camp, including the awning, had lunch, relaxed and then went fishing. The Selway is wide here, but not very deep. I ended the day with five little native cutthroats, which ranged from 4 to 8 inches long. The little guys were quite feisty and jumped and thrashed awhile before finally coming to hand. I’ll spend Friday and Saturday night here before heading out on the Magruder Sunday morning.


I have a fishing recommendation south of Superior, MT, over Hoodoo Pass in Idaho and then some dirt roads into the Clearwater National Forest. Supposed to be some big Cutthroats and Browns in that section of the Clearwater River. It will be a full days drive, since half will be on Forest Roads. I’ll need to check the Wildfire website first because that could also be where the Wildfire is burning since it is north of the Lolo Motorway. Thursday I have to begin my drive to Rock Springs, WY to arrive at Escapade on Saturday before 2pm to setup the AGS booth, which gives me four days to play, after I exit the IDBDR. But for now I have a great campsite, quiet neighbors and fishing closely, life is good.


It has been hot here during the day, 99 degrees, but it could off nicely at night, low 50s. I’ve been wet wading to stay cool. I switched to a 4wt rod to give the fish a chance, Caught 7 more fish on Saturday, a mix of Rainbows and Cutthroats, in the 4 - 12 inch range. I walked up the road to go to a different section of river. Except where I am camped, getting to the river is difficult from the road. This is an old burn area, so the woods are a jumble of down trees, plus the road is 20 feet above the river with a steep embankment.


The current in front of camp is pretty fast, so swimming was not an option. I was able to move some rocks to create a dam with a space large enough for me to lie in. It was great to cool off in.


I apologize for the poor quality of some photos, the windshield gets pretty dirty and I didn’t want to chance spooking the Moose or Deer by getting out of the truck.


It will be mid-day Sunday, and I’ll be in Montana, when I post this and you’ll have to wait for the next post to find out what I finally decided to do.


See Pics below


Stay turned.

Tight Lines and safe travels 




                                                        Entrance to Magruder Corridor





                                                            Poet's Campground       





                                                        Campsite on the Road to Paradise

1 comment:

  1. Dannnng that's purdy. You are really making me miss motorcycling. I always wanted to ride an enduro bike but I'm way too vertically challenged. What fun!

    Flying fish....oh my how sad!!!

    Glad you are making it through safely!

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...