Tuesday, July 6, 2021

IDBDR Part 2 - July 4, 2021 Independence Day


 

Happy Birthday America !!!!!!


It’s been very warm in Idaho. Currently, there is a fire ban, which is fine by me, as long as Wildfires don’t break out. The air has been clear and I hope it stays that way. Last night 7/3/21, at dusk, which is around 9:30 pm this far north and west, I saw a big black shape moving through the old burned forest across the dirt road from my site. Needless to say, I got a bit nervous, especially knowing I didn’t bring my bear spray. My camp was clean, so I sat and watched as it moved left to right across my field of vision. Then about 25 yards behind it, another black shape appeared. Both animals were to far away to clearly see. Just as I was about to grab my binoculars, one of them mooed, and a small herd of Black Angus cattle appeared. I slept very well last night.


I packed up Enzo around 9am and headed out. I decided to drive further down the Forest Road and try to get to a high spot for a view as well as possible cellular connectivity. Found a view but no cell coverage. After enjoying the view, I turned around and headed back the way I came. It was time to get serious, head to Lowman, and begin the actual IDBDR. 


The drive to Lowman was spectacular, first through a valley with mountains in the distance and then in a canyon along the Payette River. Lowman was 65 miles from camp. I stopped at the USFS Ranger Station, which was closed but had an ample supply of Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) in the unlocked foyer. I grabbed the 3 maps that covered the first couple of sections of the IDBDR that I was doing. These are much more detailed than the Butler IDBDR map I have. They even have the opening and closing dates of the roads. Had I only known. LOL.


After leaving the Ranger Station, I refilled all my water at the next USFS campground, topped off my fuel tank with 4 1/2 gallons of unleaded at the little Lowman convenience store for $4.49 per gal, dumped my trash after asking permission and then crossed Hwy 21 and entered FS Road 582. Finally!




Leaving Lowman



The road had recently been graded and at times I was cruising along at 30 - 40 mph throughout the forest. The smooth grade continued, but the road became very twisty, so I slowed accordingly. At mile post 12, I came to my first junction, stopped to recon my location and then turned left onto FS road 510. I was entering an area that was pretty heavily burned during the 2016 Pioneer Fire. Mother Nature was working hard to restore the land, but I could tell it had been a very hot fire. The trees were mostly burned sticks, which allowed for continuous views as the road wound its way along the contours of the mountains.





                                                                  Mile Post 12







Using the Butler map for the “big picture” and the MVUM for the fine detail, I finally arrived at Deadwood Reservoir, 43 miles since I left pavement, at around 3pm. The drive was very much like backpacking, except I averaged 17 MPH, rather than the 1 1/2 to 2 mph I used to average backpacking. The road never got very rough, a few ruts here and there, but any decent vehicle could drive it. I only saw 2 vehicles and one ATV all day. There were a few turn outs for views, but mostly the road was a vehicle and a half wide, so between the constant switchbacks, big drop offs on the left side of the road and the chance of meeting an oncoming vehicle, I slowed to a reasonable speed.


At Deadwood Reservoir, I  scouted two USFS campgrounds on the reservoir and lucked out. Barneys Campground was mostly empty. I settled into site #2, $6 with my senior pass, no neighbors , my own private beach and an amazingly clean “SST” (sweet smelling toilet) aka outhouse. Spent the afternoon, swimming and fishing. The swimming was more productive than the fishing. Life is good.





                                                  Barney's Campground site #2




                                                     Sunset From Barney's #2


I have settled into a new routine, because of the very warm, daytime, ambient temperature. The mornings are cool, 65 degrees, and it’s very quiet. So, unlike backpacking, where the goal was to get an early start and cover miles, I’ve decided to enjoy the cool mornings in camp, and then escape the heat driving with the air conditioner on in the truck. 




Random view from the Driver's window, and yes that is the edge of the road. Most places the road is 1 1/2 vehicles wide, some places one one vehicle wide. 


Tight Lines and safe travels


1 comment:

  1. SUHHHHHWEEEEEEET! Oh I'm so jealous!!! I rode my motorcycle to Lowman while en route to Yellowstone, how I wish I had made that turn onto the IDBDR!!! Yer killin' me!

    Glad that wasn't a family of bears you saw. If you didn't hear, a Grizzly just mauled a tent camper near Helena. Don't go there, it's on the loose!

    ReplyDelete

Alaska, the final installment

  Saturday, 7/6/2024 My trip was winding down and after a nice morning with Michelle and her dad, I headed north back to Anchorage to visit...